Phone: +1-805-756-2700 If your call is not answered, PLEASE LEAVE A MESSAGE. Our group is notified by email.
Our Mission and Services
The EE Technical Services Group provides equipment and support for th EE labs in building 20. This support does NOT include IT (Computer) Support. If you require help with IT issues, please contact ITS via email at ServiceDesk@calpoly.edu or open a ticket using the ITS Ticket System here.
The mission of the Technical Services Group is to be part of providing the excellent Learn By Doing experience by providing EE Faculty and Students services that complete that Cal Poly Learn By Doing experience. Some of these services are initiated using Adobe Forms, which are accessed below this section.
Our base services include:
- Short and long term equipment loan
- Equipment can be loaned to faculty and students for long or short periods of time, depending on need justification and sponsorship. Check with the aide at the SPL Checkout window if a checkout card will be enough or if you will need to use the Equipment Checkout Request widget at the bottom of this page to get started.
- High and low value equipment loan
- A wide variety of equipment is available for loan to faculty and students. Higher value equipment loans are made to students using a faculty sponsorship process. See the Equipment Checkout Request widget at the bottom of this page to get started.
- Access and use of the Student Project Labs (SPL - rooms 20-111 and 20-118)
- Where classroom labs are NOT available on demand to students, the SPL is available Mondays thru Saturdays 8AM to 9PM, with the Checkout window open Mondays through Friday 8AM to 5PM. Here students and faculty have access to benches, computers, test equipment, and other resources where they can catch-up on assignments, collaborate on projects, meet with instructors, and even hang out between classes. In addition, room 20-111 has an A/V system that allows students to use their own computers to share displays and encourage working together.
- Checkout of project storage in the SPL
- The drawers and lower cabinets in 20-111 and 20-118 are now available for student checkout. These drawers are lockable using keys that are checked-out to students through the University. THEY ARE NOT A REPLACEMENT FOR LOCKERS, but are intended as a place that projects in progress can be secured without students having to constantly transport them. See the Project Storage Request widget at the bottom of this page to get started.
- Access to electronic parts
- The EE Department is making our inventory of surplus parts available to students in support of their ACADEMIC activities. The focus of the inventory is resistors, capacitors, and integrated circuits. Bottom line is if we've got it, you can have it, so check with us before you order parts.
- Managing permissions and access to classroom labs
- Classroom labs are not generally available to students outside of class time they have in the lab. Exceptions can be granted through a process of faculty sponsorship. The preferred access method is Controlled access with no key issued. See the Controlled Lab Access Request widget at the bottom of this page to get started. If there is a justifiable case for key issuance, use the Keyed Lab Access Request widget at the bottom of this page to get started.
- Provide needed equipment for classroom lab activity
- Faculty, please contact, AS MUCH IN ADVANCE AS POSSIBLE, the Tech Services assistant on duty in the SPL or EMail ee-student-lab@CalPoly.edu when you have equipment needs for your classes, lecture or lab. We are here to help.
- Respond to classroom test equipment needs and requests
- While tagging of broken equipment is essential, the Tech Services group does need to be notified when equipment fails. Please contact the Tech Services assistant on duty in the SPL or EMail ee-student-lab@CalPoly.edu when equipment has been tagged.